2011年12月21日水曜日

Food for the days of the end and first of year







Today I want to introduce about Japanese food for the days of the end and first of year, Toshikoshi soba and Osechi. Almost Japanese eat it every year.

The habit of eating soba has started since Edo era. There are differences of soba's types in each religion in Japan. In general, it is said that we can live long with health, we can get money and we can throw the year's troubles if we eat soba in the end year's day, December 31. It is important to be finished eating soba before a new year's day, January 1st.


The habit of eating Osechi has also started since Edo era. There are many kinds of food in Osechi. It is celebrate of new year. various color are used in the boxes, Jyubako. Recipes of Osechi's food is simple, for example just boiling or frying because it gives women rest during the first few days of January. the food keep well for a long time. Each food has a meaning which are praying for health, money, promotion and so on.


Japan has lots of traditional food customer. We have to keep culture. I think many Japanese don't believe any religions, so Japanese culture will gone if we stop these customer. I don't want to lost the culture. In this year, I will learn how to prepare soba and cook Osechi food from my mother.


Have a happy year-end and new year!!





4 件のコメント:

  1. I agree with you! We have to keep tradition and tell the posterity. I didn't know that Soba also has the good meaning. Last year I didn't eat soba so I have to care whole this year.lol

    返信削除
  2. Your blog is very useful for me because I did not know that it is important to finish eating soba before new year comes.
    I ate soba on the end of the last year, but did not think of meaning it has.
    I would like to eat it with thinking of good meaning next time!

    返信削除
  3. Look so delicious:-)
    I'm getting hungry...lol
    I agree with you. We have to keep our culture.

    返信削除
  4. happy new year. I ate soba last month but I did not eat osechi yet this year because they are hard to cook for me:(

    返信削除